Monday, February 28, 2011

Fragile


"So much is riding on the next few minutes"

"Is it? Even if I don't get through, it doesn't change anything"

"Everything"

"Pooh. I'll still be smart, funny, loved.."

"Yeah. People love you for your shiny self. Hah"

"They like me cos I have potential - my mum said so"

"That's my girl, the eternally self-assured woman."

"I - its not like I'm never insecure you know. And sometimes that's a good thing - it keeps you from getting complacent. For instance, I care enough to dress well whenever I step out"

"Of course you do. You have nightmares about what would happen if you stopped wearing high-heeled shoes."

"How do you know that?"

"Think about it. Do you remember how we got here?"

"Mmmmaybe you're a Nolan fan who drugged me with Roofies and brought me here"

"Moving on - you need to ace this interview to prove you have potential"


"Why o why?? I HAVE proven some things, haven't I? Some concrete achievements, they add weight to my resume. How many times must I go on proving myself?"

"Change is the order of the world, which is why your class VI poetry 1st prize isn't worth much anymore"

"I haven't even mentioned the poetry prize in my resume. There's MUCH more I've done with my life beyond that"

"And none of it matters. Except this one. The present matters unceasingly, and the risks of present failure increase with every previous success - every present failure makes past successes pale under the onslaught of suffixed 'but's"

"I have gone from being a failure to being a success too. I can do it all over again, if need be"

"Ah yes, those post-B.Tech days, looking for jobs, being overwhelmed by tidal waves of engineers - all identically focussed, identically dressed, identically prepared - wondering what was there in you to differentiate you from that sea of humanity - having nightmares about being one of 5 lakh identical couples married in the same hall living in the same houses..
You haven't forgotten how horrible it was?"

"I haven't, I haven't! I don't want to go back there! Please tell me what to do - I'll do anything"

TRING TRING

"Hi Sangeetha, this is Jatin, we had an interview scheduled for around now?"

1 comment:

Sharan said...

Dude. We should talk more.