Friday, February 11, 2011

Wedding Bells!

“The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories that it has come to be disbelieved. Few people daresay nowadays that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet that is the way love begins, and only that way.”
- Victor Hugo

"A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.
"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

It's true, everyone, I'm getting married! Woohoo! Hugs all around!


Who's the lucky guy, you ask? (Well, I don't care if that isn't what you asked. That's the adjective I heard, so sit down and listen)
The lucky guy, Atul, is a childhood friend of mine from Calcutta. I guess it was difficult for him to ignore my awesomeness for 22 long years and he finally proposed to me some 2 years ago. Immediately I climbed off his toe and returned his glasses, wallet and watch to him. Ha ha. I'm joking, of course. I kept the credit cards.

Right from the moment he said I gave him a funny feeling I knew that my sense of humour had felled him; and since then this relationship has been a journey of happiness, discovery, fun, and fulfillment - and inspite of the distance that separated & separates us, (not to mention the alarming frequency with which the network breaks up whenever I speak about grammar or Hugh Laurie), our belief that we were made for each other has continued to hold.

And so a few months ago we decided it was time to tell at home, and to our great relief and my slight disappointment, neither family rebelled against our decision, and were more than overjoyed to join us together in holy matrimony.

So it is, that the above sentence will be read out in Sanskrit in the presence of assorted elders and holy people, and in a ceremony full of smoke and fruits, it will formally be declared that I can officially gouge his eyes out if he ever looks at any other woman.

We have also been summarily informed that all this new-fangled nonsense about choosing your own life-partner is quite a departure from the ancient and time-honoured Hindu tradition where strangers exchange first names along with wedding vows.

And, of course, the wedding. It is scheduled to take place on March 24th 2011, in Chennai, so please do come!

No comments: